When WWII ended, the federal government cancelled its funding for childcare and announced that the day nurseries would close. Toronto mothers found this unacceptable. They formed the Day Nursery and Day Care Parents Association and, along with the Toronto Welfare Council, began to organize mothers to protest the cuts. As a result of their advocacy, the Ontario Government passed the Ontario Day Nurseries Act in 1947. Some of the nurseries would stay open. They would be funded by the Province and administered by the City. 95 Bellevue was one of the day nurseries that stayed open, eventually becoming the Bellevue Child Care Centre.